October 6th, 2011
Tags: business coaching, Challenge, community, Farming, Intention, Leadership, Mompreneur, Partnership, Passion, relationships
It’s happened before. It has been happening again lately. It goes a little like this:
- I don’t post anything in my blog for a while (this time is was a long while as I had a baby in March);
- I get inspired by all kinds of things that I could write about, but I don’t;
- And time passes;
- And more time passes. More inspiring ideas swirl around in my head and don’t get written up;
- And then my INTIMIDATION GROWS: What do I have to say that someone else hasn’t already said?
- And so does my SECOND GUESSING: Is blogging a good use of my time now that I have a baby and a business? Who is my target for these posts anyway?
- So I find a nice COMFORT ZONE called “Sons of Anarchy” (I watched two seasons over the past few weeks after Lali was in bed, telling myself I deserved a rest)
- And that feels great for a while but under the surface, I know I want to PLAY A BIGGER GAME.
The process it took to become a mother was my bigger game
for a few years. Being the kind of mom I want to be will continue to be a “very big game” for me. I have never felt the kind of joy, love, responsibility, potential and vulnerability that I feel now as a mother.
And yet, I find myself looking for my next compelling pursuit, something that will compliment my role as a mom, a business owner and a coach. I want it to be something that inspires me, and will inspire my daughter and others. And I know that staying in my comfort zones too long is not the answer.
I have one idea that is only half baked. It is such a big GULP that it has me running for cover. It involves falling in love with a [smart and sexy] farmer/rancher (like Pioneer Woman
) and together building an executive retreat centre where the world’s top executives come (with their families) for the best leadership training in the world, delicious meals and good old fashioned farm work (Yes, coaches, I know I am collapsing two big ideas together…the farmer AND the dell…it is just how I want to see it)
inspired me. Sadly, it would seem that life on her farm
is not going well just now. A few years ago I volunteered on a wonderful organic farm
for the better part of a month. I saw first-hand how much work is involved. So I know I am romanticizing life on a farm. Nonetheless, the vision keeps popping up.
The PIG at Les Jardins des Sophie (he became ham that fall).
The only piglet around me these days. She is much less suspicious than the farm pig was...with good reason.
My friend is going to bring Season 3 of Sons of Anarchy soon. It feels good to have taken this little step outside my comfort zone while I ponder whether I will succomb to another season of Sons.
Maybe you know the farmer I need to meet? Maybe you know the setting I need to visit? Or maybe I will marry an architect or contractor and flip houses instead? Or become Canada’s most sought after executive coach? Those are other ideas I have. It’s my bigger game after all.
P.S. And as for breaking through the blog block, I have done it. It took me all day between client meetings and baking pumpkin loaf but I am about to press publish and it feels great. Whether it is a worthy investment of my increasingly scarce time is a topic for another post, or not.
- Finish Strong in 2010…and Play a Bigger Game in 2011
- What Are You Thinking About?
- Creating a Meaningful Life
- Risk/ Reward: The Entrepreneur's R&R- Savon Populaire
- When Things Don’t Go According to Plan
Leave a comment